Athens is bursting with spectacular ruins from the traditional world however journey prices in Athens are pretty inexpensive — costs in Athens drop when you get away from the principle vacationer sights. On this information, I’ll cowl typical journey costs in Athens that will help you finances your journey.
This text is a part of our Metropolis Value Information Sequence — Click on right here to see all our metropolis value guides.
Fast Observe: Your journey prices will leap significantly when you begin visiting a number of the surrounding islands so maintain that in thoughts once you’re budgeting your general journey to Greece.
Common Each day Price for Visiting Athens
For budget-minded vacationers, it prices round €50-€75/day to go to Athens. These Athens costs are primarily based on what you’ll want to go to town comfortably as a finances traveler staying in a well-rated hostel. If you wish to improve your lodging then you definately’ll wish to add one other €100/evening. These costs additionally don’t embody issues like huge nights out on the bar/pub, membership entry charges, memento/clothes buying, excursions, random purchases, nicer meals, and so forth. Don’t overlook to finances additional for these “non-essentials.”
Each day Price of Funds Journey in Athens: €70 (Approx. $75)
- Sights: €10 (one paid attraction + any free sights)
- Meals: €28
- Breakfast: €3
- Lunch: €8
- Dinner: €14
- Deal with (dessert/beer/wine): €2.5
- Transportation: €2
- Lodging (Hostel): €30
Each day Price of Frugal Journey in Athens: €45 (Approx. $48)
- Sights: €5 (free strolling tour + go to one of many free sights)
- Meals: €18
- Breakfast: €0 (free hostel breakfast)
- Lunch: €6.0 (road meals or takeaway store fare)
- Dinner: €10 (make your personal meal within the hostel or seize one thing low cost)
- Beer: €1.5 (relax on the park and have a chilly one)
- Transportation: €1.20
- Lodging: €20 (low cost hostel mattress)
Athens Attraction and Museum Costs
Historical past buffs are in luck as a result of Athens is filled with a lot of historic ruins and low cost museums.
There’s a €30 go that covers all the most important historic websites. The go is nice for 5 days so you may take your time exploring. Take a look at the official Athens Ministry of Tradition web site for extra particulars.
- Parthenon: €20
- Acropolis: €20
- Nationwide Archaeological Museum: 7€
- Historical Agora: €8
- Benaki Museum: €9
- New Acropolis Museum: €5
- Temple of Olympian Zeus: €12
- Strolling Tour: Free (however you must tip the guides at the very least 5€) – 35€
Athens Meals Costs
Meals costs in Athens are affordable, so that you shouldn’t should reside on bread and water. As at all times, meals does get expensive round the principle vacationer areas, so you must hunt down eating places catering to locals. One of the best ways to refill on a heat meal is by hitting up the road meals stalls or takeaway eating places.
Athens Funds Breakfast Costs: Free – €5
- Many hostels will provide a free easy breakfast that usually consists of cereal, bread/croissant, and possibly milk, espresso, tea, or juice (some hostels will provide extra and a few much less). Lodge breakfasts are usually overpriced, so skip these usually.
- A breakfast pastry from an area bakery will value €1-€3.
Funds Breakfast Spots in Athens
Athens Funds Lunch Costs: €4-€10
- Tremendous finances vacationers could make an excellent low cost lunch of bread, cheese, and fruit from any grocery retailer for a number of euros.
- Caesar or Greek salad: €5-€6
- Contemporary sandwich: €4-€7
- Toasted cheese sandwich: €3
- Pita kebab: €3-€6
- Souvlaki (pita bread, fried potatoes, vegetable, rooster) with gyro meat: €3-€6
Funds Lunch Spots in Athens
Athens Funds Dinner Costs: €9-€17
- You need to have the ability to discover dinner at a restaurant in a much less touristy a part of city for round €12-€18.
- A primary Greek meal (moussaka for instance) will value round €7-€14.
- An upscale burger with fries runs €6-€11.
Funds Dinner Spots in Athens
(Most of the choices from the Funds Lunch part above additionally apply for dinner.)
- Sfika: A small gastropub that includes tasty tapas.
- Rakor: Greek eating places with loads of vegetarian choices.
- Feyrouz: Off the vacationer path serving up tasty Turkish/Lebanese dishes.
Athens Drinks and Alcohol Costs
- A pint of normal beer out: €2-€5
- Pint of beer from a grocery retailer: €1
- Bottle of (drinkable) wine from the grocery retailer: €8
- Espresso: €1-€2
Athens Public Transportation Costs
Along with strolling, Athens has a lot of public transportation choices. The bus, tram, and subway all function on the identical (inexpensive) ticket.
- Particular person ticket (legitimate for 90 minutes): €1.20
- Each day ticket: €4.50
- 3-day limitless journey (features a round-trip ticket to the airport): €22
Athens Hostel, Lodge, & Rental House Costs
Lodging costs in Athens are about regular however resorts are usually dearer than you may count on.
Athens Hostel Costs: €20-€35
You need to finances about €25/evening per particular person for a good hostel, though many hostels increase their costs on the weekend. Bear in mind, these costs are for a mattress in a shared dorm room. In order for you a non-public room, count on to pay €70-€100 complete (for 2 individuals).
We e book our hostels by Hostelworld.
Athens Funds Lodge Costs: €50-€150
Motels aren’t the most affordable since Athens is a highly regarded vacation spot. An honest finances lodge within the metropolis middle will value round €100-€140/evening. You’ll find cheaper resorts if you wish to keep farther away from the middle of town.
We suggest Reserving.com as a result of they’ve the largest stock of inexpensive resorts.
Athens Rental House Costs: €50-€120/evening
From my expertise, rental residences are usually a bit greater than equally priced lodge rooms. Plus, you’ll get a kitchen so it can save you more cash by cooking your personal meals however resorts do provide some good conveniences.
There are fairly a number of good rental condominium choices obtainable in Athens — you must have the ability to discover a extremely rated studio for round €50-€90/evening or a 1-bedroom nearer to €70-€110. If you wish to hire a room in somebody’s place, count on to pay round €30-€45/evening. Airbnb is at all times in style however you will discover cheaper/higher choices on our checklist of Airbnb Alternate options.
Different Journey Prices To Hold In Thoughts
There are a handful of pre-travel prices that you must issue into your journey finances. I’ve listed a number of beneath.
- Worldwide Cellular Knowledge: Utilizing cellular knowledge whereas overseas can simply run you $10-$20/day should you’re not cautious but it surely’s simple to get that right down to round $3/day. Listed below are a number of articles to assist:
- Sneakers, Clothes, and Different Journey Equipment: Gadgets like footwear, baggage, and different journey gear can find yourself including rather a lot to your general journey finances. Listed below are a number of useful articles that will help you select what you must pack and methods to save lots of just a little cash by being sensible with what you purchase.
- Avoiding Pickpockets and Journey Scams: Take a look at my information to pickpockets in Europe and my information to Europe journey rip-offs to keep away from getting your cash, telephones, and property stolen whereas touring.
Study Extra Concerning the Prices of Visiting Europe
We’ve created an excellent in-depth information about how a lot it prices to backpack Europe (together with extra metropolis value guides).
No Humorous Enterprise
The Savvy Backpacker is reader-supported. Meaning once you purchase product/companies by hyperlinks on the location, I could earn an affiliate fee — it doesn’t value you something additional and it helps assist the location.
Thanks For Studying! — James