From the grand Duomo di Milano cathedral to the extra off-the-beaten-track points of interest of the Italian lakes, right here’s a information to a few of the metropolis’s greatest issues to do, must-see landmarks, and enchanting surrounding areas.
It’s straightforward to get intimidated whereas making an attempt to plan a trip to Italy since there are such a lot of superb locations to see and it’s important to decide which of them to go to.
Because of this, it’s a frequent subject of dialogue on quite a lot of journey blogs and web sites, with many individuals questioning whether or not they need to even trouble going to Milan. And given the various unbelievable choices obtainable, Milan is steadily disregarded since it’s only thought of a gateway to different places, a stopover on the path to someplace else, or a metropolis that doesn’t actually fall among the many least expensive locations to go to in Italy.
However the metropolis is extra deserving than that; it’s a fascinating and infrequently misunderstood vacation spot (even by Italians!).
Milan could be very wealthy in cultural choices, one thing that’s approach too straightforward to overlook contemplating the present structure of the town. In reality, after WWII, all of the factories that had been broken by the bombings had been rebuilt, and plenty of manufacturing unit staff moved right here. Neighborhoods had been constructed rapidly, typically on the expense of inexperienced house and with a deal with operate fairly than aesthetics.
Due to this, the town could appear drab and uninviting at first look; except you already know the place to look, you don’t get the identical awe-inspiring vistas supplied by the likes of Rome and Venice, the charming villages of Tuscany, Liguria, and Sicily, or the pristine wilderness areas of Sardinia and Calabria.
However right here is the factor: Milan is gorgeous in a special and fewer apparent approach.
Milan’s magnificence is within the interiors of its buildings, the courtyards and gardens that encompass them, and the facades of the buildings that make up the town. But in addition within the opulence of the town’s resorts, bars, and eating places. Then, in fact, there’s style, or how folks gown.
Milan is beautiful in a fashion that’s much less cliche and fewer touristic.
On this mini-guide, we’ll take you on a tour of Milan’s cobblestone streets, winding canals, and plenty of artistic endeavors. We’ll additionally share insider ideas, issues to do, and locations you may’t miss on this busy metropolis—and people you must keep away from as an alternative.
Issues you may’t miss in Milan
The Duomo space: the Cathedral and the Vittorio Emanuele II Gallery
The Duomo di Milano, or Milan Cathedral, is a must-see when you’re visiting Milan. It’s the biggest cathedral in Italy and one of many largest on the planet. The development of this Gothic-style church began in 1386, and it took almost six centuries to finish, with the ultimate particulars added in 1965.
The outside of the Duomo is thought for being elaborate and ornate. There are greater than 3,400 statues and 135 spires on the surface. It’s embellished with intricate marble carvings and sculptures, together with the well-known copper and gold “Madonnina” statue on the prime of the tallest spire.
Inside, the cathedral is simply as spectacular, with an enormous and hovering inside that may maintain as much as 40,000 folks. The primary nave has stained glass home windows and frescoes, and the cathedral additionally has a variety of essential artworks, just like the spectacular statue of Saint Bartholomew flayed.
One of many coolest issues in regards to the Duomo is its roof, which you may get to by way of a raise or stairs. From the roof, you may get nice views of the town and see the intricate particulars of the cathedral’s structure up shut, with its carvings, statues of vegetation and flowers, and the well-known gargoyles.
The Duomo is a vital spiritual constructing, however additionally it is a well-liked vacationer vacation spot and a logo of Milan. It’s visited by tens of millions of individuals annually and is a giant a part of the town’s id and heritage.
Wanting on the Duomo from the sq., in your left, you will note the Vittorio Emanuele II Gallery.
This elegant, glass-roofed constructing was constructed within the nineteenth century, and it’s identified for its high-end boutiques, cafes, and eating places. It’s a in style vacation spot for each locals and vacationers.
The arcade was constructed by architect Giuseppe Mengoni and named after Vittorio Emanuele II, who was the primary king of a united Italy. The constructing is made from iron and glass, and the inside is embellished with mosaics, marble, and frescoes.
Strolling previous the gallery, you’ll discover your self in Piazza della Scala, the sq. in entrance of the namesake opera home.
La Scala is without doubt one of the world’s most prestigious and well-known opera homes. It’s identified for its stunning inside and performances.
The opera home was constructed within the 18th century. Among the greatest musicians on the planet, like Verdi, Pavarotti, and Maria Callas, have carried out there.
The inside of La Scala is equally spectacular, with a grand, ornate auditorium that may seat over 2,000 folks. The theater is embellished with frescoes, marble, and gold leaf and options a variety of essential artworks.
Collectively, the Duomo, the Vittorio Emanuele II gallery, and La Scala are Milan’s most well-known and iconic landmarks and must-sees for anybody visiting the town.
The Sforza Fort and its park, the Final Supper
The Sforza Fort is positioned just a few blocks away from the Duomo. It was initially constructed as a fortress by Duke Francesco Sforza, however over time it has been used as a residence for the ruling household, a army barracks, and a jail. As we speak, the citadel is a significant vacationer attraction and homes a variety of museums and artwork collections.
The citadel is thought for its imposing measurement and spectacular structure. It’s surrounded by a moat and has huge partitions and towers that had been designed to guard the town from invaders. The inside of the citadel is magnificent, with a variety of grand, ornate rooms and halls that had been utilized by the ruling household.
The citadel’s outdoors courtyards are at all times free, however admission to the within of the citadel and the artwork assortment it holds requires a charge.
Parco Sempione, a big and delightful park positioned behind the citadel, is a well-liked place for locals and guests alike to spend time year-round because of Milan’s nice local weather.
This lush inexperienced paradise is at its most stunning within the spring when you may see turtles swimming within the pond on the park’s coronary heart from the park’s charming bridge, which is adorned with sculptures of mermaids.
Within the summertime, the gorgeous grassy areas with views of the citadel and the historic gate of Milan often known as the “Arco della Tempo” are in style sunbathing spots for locals and vacationers alike. The stunning foliage of autumn and winter can be a sight to not miss.
Brera and the Vogue District
Nestled within the heart of the town, only a stone’s throw from the Sforzesco Fort, Brera is the following must-visit vacation spot in Milan.
This neighborhood is thought for its slim streets, cobbled squares, and colourful buildings. Regardless of Milan’s modernity, Brera is considered one of many metropolis’s most authentically Italian neighborhoods.
On the coronary heart of the district, you’ll discover the Pinacoteca di Brera Artwork Gallery, which is house to a few of the world’s most treasured work. However the neighborhood is way more than only a museum—it’s a hub of cultural and creative exercise, with galleries, theaters, and live performance halls dotted all through the realm.
And when the solar goes down, Brera comes alive with a vibrant nightlife scene, from fashionable bars and golf equipment to upscale eating places and bistrots to genuine taverne and osterie.
Not removed from Brera is the Quadrilatero della Moda, the Vogue District of Milan.
It is a prestigious space of Milan identified for its high-end style and luxurious items.
The district is house to nearly all the world’s most well-known designer boutiques, equivalent to Prada, Gucci, Valentino, Chanel, and extra.
The elegant streets are lined with outlets, and the realm is a well-liked vacation spot for style lovers from around the globe.
Whether or not you’re available in the market for a brand new luxurious merchandise or simply need to admire the fashionable designs and the delicate structure, a go to to the Quadrilatero della Moda is a should throughout your journey to Milan.
Santa Maria delle Grazie is a well-known church in Milan, greatest identified for housing Leonardo da Vinci’s masterpiece, The Final Supper.
The church itself is an exquisite Renaissance constructing with a shocking brick façade, and the inside is stuffed with art work and frescoes. The Final Supper is positioned on one of many partitions of the church’s refectory and is taken into account one of many biggest artistic endeavors on the planet.
Regardless of its age, the portray remains to be in remarkably good situation, and guests can see it up shut as a part of a guided tour. Should you’re in Milan, a go to to the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie and the Final Supper is a should.
Because of their excessive demand, tickets promote out shortly after they go on sale, so plan months forward.
A 15-minute stroll from right here will take you to the Navigli district. It is a cool and stylish neighborhood identified for its vigorous nightlife.
The world is known as after the Navigli, a sequence of canals that had been as soon as used for transportation and commerce and are actually a well-liked spot, particularly on weekends.
The slim streets are stuffed with the trendiest bars, golf equipment, and eating places of Milan, making it the right place to seize a drink, hearken to dwell music and drink a spritz to expertise the true spirit of Milan like a neighborhood.
And what you may skip in Milan as an alternative
Should you’re planning a visit to Milan, you’ll need to take advantage of your time within the metropolis.
However with a lot to see and do, it may be overwhelming to determine the place to start out. That’s why we’ve put collectively this information to the issues you must skip in Milan—so you may keep away from the vacationer traps and deal with the really must-see points of interest.
And when you’re on the lookout for extra insider ideas and recommendation in regards to the metropolis, try nosbatti.com, a Milan metropolis information written by locals. This web site presents a wealth of helpful data and suggestions from individuals who know the town nicely and might provide distinctive insights and recommendation.
Touristy eating places downtown
It may be tempting to decide on essentially the most simply accessible eating places—these which might be positioned in superb central places with nice views and make consuming out simpler.
You realize, those with the garish indicators and Italian flags, images on the menu, and large “specials” boards.
With only a few exceptions, it’s actually unusual for this type of place to offer essentially the most genuine and gratifying Italian expertise.
More often than not, the meals at these eating places is watered down and lacks the wealthy flavors that make Italian meals so in style. Furthermore, they typically don’t have a extremely “Italian” vibe.
Plus, costs are marked up in comparison with different locations, and the service could also be lackluster. All in all, it’s undoubtedly greatest to go elsewhere for an actual Italian eating expertise.
As an alternative, attempt to discover a native trattoria or ristorante, the place the ambiance is extra genuine and the meals is true to the Italian culinary custom. Costs will probably be extra affordable, and the ambiance will probably be way more genuine.
You don’t even have to go away downtown to search out such a meals. The charming facet alleys are stuffed with hidden gems, and locals don’t normally hesitate to offer you a tip on the place to eat.
Let’s be clear: aperitivo (Italian for “comfortable hour”) is an absolute must-do whereas in Milan.
As the top of the workday approaches, in addition to on weekends, many individuals need to unwind with associates and colleagues throughout aperitivo hour, which generally takes place between 7 and 9 p.m.
Drinks are accompanied with a light-weight snack or just a few small plates of meals, equivalent to olives, cheese, cured meats, focaccia, or pizza. Throughout aperitivo, the preferred cocktail is an Aperol spritz, which consists of Aperol, prosecco, and soda water.
Earlier than the pandemic, it was way more frequent to serve the aperitivo within the type of a giant buffet with many alternative choices, typically at a low value that was tempting.
Sadly, this additionally implies that the meal is of low high quality, the place will probably be crowded, and it’ll not depart a optimistic impression nor be enjoyable!
Some locations nonetheless serve aperitivo this manner, nevertheless it’s greatest to keep away from them.
As an alternative, select a high-quality restaurant or bar the place you’ll have a variety of small plates served to you straight at your desk. In spite of everything, aperitivo is supposed to be a bit of snack loved earlier than a drink, not a alternative for dinner. High quality over amount!
Hop on – hop off excursions
In case you are pressed for time and need to take advantage of your go to to Milan, hop-on, hop-off vacationer buses appear to be an incredible concept. These double-decker buses can help you get round rapidly, seeing the principle sights in a brief period of time.
Whereas this may be true for very massive cities like Rome or Paris, in a spot like Milan, the place there are fewer distances to cowl, it’s probably not crucial.
In reality, by taking considered one of these excursions, you miss out on numerous the town’s hidden treasures as a result of the tour merely doesn’t go off the crushed monitor.
In case you are unable to or don’t get pleasure from strolling, you may nonetheless benefit from the metropolis’s highlights by benefiting from the general public transportation system, which is extraordinarily environment friendly and covers each nook of Milano nearly 24 hours per day—for reasonable.
A weekend in Milan: a strolling information
Milan is the right vacation spot for a weekend getaway.
To take advantage of your time in Milan, why not take a strolling tour to expertise all one of the best components of this unbelievable metropolis? Right here’s a information to planning your excellent weekend in Milan.
Begin your first day with breakfast at considered one of Brera’s charming historic cafes, after which head to the Pinacoteca di Brera artwork gallery to see the most recent exhibitions. After absorbing some tradition, seize lunch at considered one of Brera’s conventional eating places.
Within the afternoon, make your method to the Quadrilatero della Moda, Milan’s well-known style district. Ranging from By way of Montenapoleone, you may store at high-end boutiques, get pleasure from a espresso at one of many elegant boutique cafes, or just admire the gorgeous structure.
Because the day involves an finish, make your method to Piazza del Duomo, house to the town’s iconic cathedral.
Admire the gorgeous façade, and if the climate is sweet, contemplate a go to to the rooftop for gorgeous 360° views of the town (however bear in mind to guide your tickets upfront).
End the day with an aperitivo at one of many well-known rooftop bars overlooking the sq., however solely after a go to to the regal Vittorio Emanuele II gallery, which is much more majestic when lit up at evening.
On the second day of your journey to Milan, you’ll start by strolling from the Duomo as much as the citadel by means of the gorgeous by way of Mercanti and by way of Dante.
Take a second to admire the gorgeous medieval sq. that was the middle of the town (Piazza dei Mercanti) and the place the place the market happened.
On the finish of By way of Dante, you’ll discover your self in Piazza Castello. You possibly can wander by means of the courtyards of the citadel without cost or purchase a ticket to go to the within of the citadel and the artwork galleries it hosts.
If the day is sweet, take a stroll by means of Parco Sempione or take a break and benefit from the stunning nature and the climate.
It’s time to go away the park and head south, in the direction of the Magenta district, which is without doubt one of the richest residential areas of Milan and is stuffed with beautiful Liberty-style buildings.
On this neighborhood, you’ll discover many eating places the place you may get pleasure from some genuine Italian meals.
Within the afternoon, you may go to the Final Supper, however be sure to have deliberate this forward of time, as talked about earlier than.
Alternatively, when you haven’t been in a position to guide in time, a go to to the church and monastery of Santa Maria delle Grazie is price your whereas.
When you’re within the space, don’t overlook to take a look at the “Vigna di Leonardo,” a winery the Duke of Milan gave to Leonardo da Vinci in 1498 whereas he was engaged on the portray of the final supper.
Within the night, take a brief and pleasurable stroll to the Navigli, the place you’ll discover lots of of bars and eating places which might be cool and stylish. You’re positive to have a good time spending your second night there.
Greatest day and weekend journeys from Milan
As soon as you might be finished with the town highlights and vacationer points of interest, and when you’ve got extra time to spend there, it’s time to plan some day or weekend journeys from Milan. Mountain climbing lovers and urbanites will certainly get pleasure from the next locations in Milan’s surrounding areas.
10 Nice climbing spots close to Milan
Then again, the proximity to the Alps and Dolomites makes Milan an ideal launching pad for climbing. A couple of fascinating climbing spots simply accessible from Milan are:
- Lake Como: This gorgeous glacier-created lake is without doubt one of the most stunning locations to go climbing within the space. Take the prepare to Como San Giovanni and begin tackling considered one of its many trails.
- Val d’Intelvi: Take a brief prepare trip to Tresivio and discover the plush Val d’Intelvi Valley. This valley’s terrain is good for leisurely strolls, extra demanding hikes, and even just a few mountain biking trails.
- Valtellina Valley: This valley is positioned much more north and gives quite a few climbing trails of various problem. From the vineyards within the Valtellina Valley to the superb views of the Alps, this space is a favourite amongst Milanese hikers, skiers, and rock climbers.
- Val di Mello: Within the Stelvio Nationwide Park, Val di Mello is one other excellent spot to discover and go climbing. Take the prepare to Tirano after which hike as much as this magical spot. Alongside the way in which, there are many beautiful views and streams to get pleasure from.
- Montevecchia: Close to Milan, that is a simple day journey from the town. Take the prepare to Barzanò and begin on the base of the mountain.
- Lakes Maggiore and Garda: These two Italian lakes might not be as near Milan as Lake Como, however they’re undoubtedly definitely worth the longer journey. Each lakes provide loads of stunning surroundings and difficult hikes.
- Grignetta: The Grignetta is a mountain positioned proper beside Milan. Take the prepare to Covale and begin your hike.
- Swiss Alps: The quick prepare to Switzerland can take you to Interlaken in 3 hours. As soon as there, spend the day exploring the majestic Swiss Alps.
- Fellaria glacier: An awesome spot for difficult day hikes and in a single day tenting climate allowing. You will get there by taking a prepare to Valtournenche, then a cable automotive as much as the glacier.
- Valle d’Aosta: Essentially the most mountainous area in Italy presents a few of the greatest climbing within the nation and is just some hours’ drive from Milan. Add it to your itinerary!
15 Superior Cities and Cities a brief journey away from Milan
There are quite a few extremely beautiful cities and cities that may be simply reached in not more than two or three hours, as a day or weekend journey from Milan. Listed here are some Milan day journey locations you must contemplate:
- Bellagio: Located within the idyllic Como lake, Bellagio is only a low-cost one-hour prepare trip away from Milan and presents gorgeous landscapes and actions equivalent to kayaking and boat rides on the lake. For lots of of years, celebrities and aristocrats have flocked to this Italian lake scape. From the breathtaking surroundings to the fascinating cities and historic websites alongside the lake’s shores, you gained’t discover a higher day journey from Milan.
- Parma: The charming metropolis of Parma is an hour and a half drive from Milan and is house to the famend Parma ham and cheese together with a few of the greatest museums and church buildings within the area.
- Bergamo: Beautiful cobblestone streets, palazzos, and church buildings await 50 km away from Milan.
- Verona: A two-hour drive from Milan, the pleasant metropolis of Verona presents a few of the best-preserved Roman ruins and the imposing Area of Verona.
- Sirmione: This charming village is located on the tip of the Sirmio peninsular and is only a one-hour drive from Milan. Right here you’ll discover the ruins of a medieval citadel and sizzling springs from Roman baths.
- Lake Garda: What if we informed you that the biggest lake in Italy is only a 1.5-hour drive from Milan? Garda lake is a great spot for leisurely strolls and boat rides. Households with youngsters and amusement park lovers may put Gardaland, probably the most in style theme parks in Italy positioned within the lake Garda area, on their itinerary.
- Genoa: This vibrant port metropolis might be reached in simply two hours by prepare from Milan and is house to a vigorous previous city with winding streets lined with bars and eating places.
- Turin: Recognized for its spectacular palazzos, piazzas, and gardens, this metropolis is only a one-and-a-half-hour drive away from Milan.
- Brescia: An hour and a half drive from Milan, Brescia is a historic city house to some fantastic museums and artwork galleries.
- Liguria: Residence to the gorgeous Italian Riviera and the charming cities of Portofino and Sanremo, this coastal area might be reached in simply two hours by automotive from Milan.
- Venice: The enduring metropolis of Venice is only a two-hour drive from Milan and, as certainly you already know, is a must-visit vacation spot in Italy.
- Chianti: Well-known for its wine and rolling hills dotted with vineyards and olive groves, you may get to Chianti from Milan in 90 minutes.
- Stresa: Positioned on the picturesque shores of Lake Maggiore, Stresa presents gorgeous views, nice purchasing, and fascinating historic websites. The Borromean Islands are simply offshore and are additionally a must-see vacation spot.
- Bologna: This vibrant college metropolis is only a one-hour prepare trip away from Milan and presents a pleasant mixture of Renaissance-era structure and the bustling ambiance of a contemporary metropolis.
- Cinque Terre: This charming coastal space is three hours away from Milan and is house to some gorgeous climbing trails together with a string of picturesque villages.
nosbatti.com is a metropolis information to Milan made by locals. It offers insider ideas and recommendation on one of the best spots to eat, drink, and discover; whether or not you’re planning a visit, a transfer, or simply need to be taught extra about Milan, it would show you how to keep away from the standard vacationer traps and expertise the town like a neighborhood.
Hold searching Italy articles: