The Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, the Minister of Well being, the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, the Minister of Public Security, the Honourable Marco Mendicino, and the Minister of Tourism and Affiliate Minister of Finance, the Honourable Randy Boissonnault, issued this replace immediately on progress being made by the Authorities of Canada and trade companions to scale back traveller wait occasions at Canadian airports.
Passenger safety screening wait occasions
- Through the week of July 11-17, 2022, 81 p.c of passengers had been screened by the Canadian Air Transport Safety Authority (CATSA) inside fifteen minutes at Canada’s airports, as passenger volumes proceed to extend. The development continued for the extra 4 days within the reporting interval (July 18 – 21), with 81 p.c of passengers being screened inside quarter-hour.
- Toronto Pearson Worldwide Airport’s wait occasions elevated for the week of July 11-17with 78 p.c of passengers screened inside quarter-hour however confirmed slight indicators of enchancment from July 18-21 at 82 p.c.
- Vancouver Worldwide Airport confirmed a slight enhance for July 11-17, with 78 p.c of passengers screened inside quarter-hour with slight indicators of enchancment from July 18-21at 81 p.c.
- Montréal-Trudeau Worldwide Airport confirmed enchancment for the week of July 11-17, with 78 p.c of passengers screened inside quarter-hour; nevertheless, this declined for the July 18-21 interval to 68 p.c.
- Calgary Worldwide Airport confirmed a rise in wait occasions with 78 p.c of passengers screened inside quarter-hour for the week of July 11-17, with enhancements on this week up to now at 81 p.c.
- A small variety of passengers – lower than 2 p.c throughout all airports – waited greater than 45 minutes to be safety screened for the week of July 11-17, 2022.
Passenger journey volumes
- For the week of July 11-17, the overall variety of air passenger arrivals (transborder and worldwide) was 619,971, with a each day common of 88,567 passengers. That is 17,526 greater than the earlier week and represents about 76.4 p.c of the extent for a similar week in 2019.
- For the week of July 11-17, the overall variety of air passenger departures was 1,148,194, with a each day common of 164,028 passengers. That is 7,410 greater than the earlier week and represents about 82.7 p.c of the extent for a similar week in 2019.
Metering (holding) of plane at Toronto Pearson Worldwide Airport
- The variety of plane being held on the tarmac at Toronto Pearson Worldwide Airport has decreased considerably since early Might. For the week of July 11-17, 58 plane had been held on the tarmac as in comparison with the height of 373 the week of Might 23- 29, 2022. This lower exhibits the numerous progress that has been made up to now to handle bottlenecks and to streamline passenger flows at Canada’s largest airport, by including extra Canada Border Providers Company (CBSA) officers and extra kiosks and eGates within the CBSA corridor at Terminal 1.
The Authorities of Canada and air trade companions proceed to take vital motion to extend assets and streamline processes to scale back wait occasions and assist maintain travellers transferring, together with:
Collaborating with air trade companions
- Minister Alghabra continues to satisfy with senior management at airports and airways of all sizes throughout the nation to make sure ongoing collaboration that can assist cut back delays and maintain travellers transferring. On July 21, the Minister met with the management of the EdmontonWorldwide Airport to debate the options they’re implementing to mitigate congestion and wait occasions for his or her travellers. The Minister additionally had related conferences earlier this week with officers from the Vancouver, Kamloops and Prince George airports in British Columbia.
- Transport Canada continues to satisfy recurrently with airports and airways alongside CATSA, the Public Well being Company of Canada (PHAC), the Canada Border Providers Company (CBSA), and NAV CANADA to search out options to handle bottlenecks affecting journey.
Shifting random obligatory testing out of airports
- As of July 19, 2022, obligatory random testing resumed for many who qualify as absolutely vaccinated travellers at Toronto Pearson, Vancouver, Calgary, and Montréal-Trudeau airports. All testing for air travellers arriving in Canada, for each those that qualify as absolutely vaccinated and partially or unvaccinated individuals, is now being accomplished outdoors of airports. Obligatory random testing just isn’t going down at airports.
- All air travellers required to endure on-arrival testing will obtain an electronic mail inside quarter-hour of finishing their CBSA major processing. The e-mail comprises info to assist them organize for his or her take a look at with a testing supplier of their area.
- Resuming obligatory random testing outdoors of airports permits the Authorities of Canada to take care of its capacity to shortly reply to new variants of concern, or adjustments to the epidemiological state of affairs, whereas serving to alleviate congestion points in airports.
Growing staffing for safety screening and customs processing
- Since April, greater than 1,500 CATSA screening officers have been employed throughout Canada. The variety of screening officers at Toronto Pearson Worldwide Airport and VancouverWorldwide Airport are actually over 100% of summer season goal ranges. Efforts to extend screening officer workers ranges in any respect airports proceed.
- CBSA is making extra border companies officers out there on the most congested airports, has quickly re-hired retired officers and has employed extra scholar border companies officers.
Streamlining customs processing at Toronto Pearson Worldwide Airport
- The Higher Toronto Airports Authority and the Canada Border Providers Company (CBSA) are including extra kiosks and eGates within the CBSA corridor at Toronto Pearson Worldwide Airport, Terminal 1. As well as, CBSA continues to watch and put together for peak arrival occasions to maximise efficiencies.
- Travellers arriving at Toronto Pearson Worldwide Airport or Vancouver Worldwide Airport, and later this month at Montréal-Trudeau Worldwide Airport, can save time by utilizing the Advance CBSA Declaration non-compulsory characteristic in ArriveCAN to submit their customs and immigration declaration upfront of arrival.
- Frequent travellers are additionally inspired to make the most of the “saved traveller” characteristic in ArriveCAN. It permits a person to save lots of journey paperwork and proof of vaccination info to reuse on future journeys.
Info useful resource for passengers experiencing flight delays, cancellations and misplaced or delayed baggage
- A brand new info useful resource has been developed by the Canadian Transportation Company to assist passengers who’re experiencing points throughout their journey. This information gives solutions to many often requested journey questions and advises passengers of their rights beneath the Air Passenger Safety Rules ought to their flights be delayed or cancelled, or within the occasion their baggage is misplaced, broken or delayed.